March 25th Newsletter
Category : Newsletters
Here is the link to the March 25th newsletter.
As we begin Holy Week, I offer a reflection on the tragedy which befell St. Francis Catholic School in my blog and discuss how our faith has provided a framework for dealing with the loss of a student. The top 5 articles:
- In the American Catholic News section, I’ve included three articles on Cardinal Wuerl and Amoris Laetitia such as the summary from NCR. If you’re like me, you’ve heard the controversy about divorced Catholics receiving Communion but haven’t connected Amoris Laetitia to our ministry in Catholic schools. You’ll think differently after reading these articles.
- In the same section, I’ve included a micro-blog entry from my friend Lisa Orchen “Easter Resources for Schools.” There are a lot of great links for understanding and displaying this liturgical season. Often Catholic schools only celebrate Advent and Lent. Thanks Lisa for bringing the Easter season to our attention!
- In the Teaching & Instruction section, Danny Steele’s blog post “Five Ways Teachers Can Impact School Culture” is full of great ideas on how teachers can make a difference. Yes, we all know that leadership is important. But leadership doesn’t just come from principals! Teachers have a tremendous impact on school culture.
- The first article in the Miscellany section (“A Deeper Look at the Whole School Approach to Behavior”) is a remarkable story about how to turn around a negative behavior environment.
- The next article from NPR centers on “The Fight Over Teacher Salaries” and includes average teacher salaries from every state. This is the time that boards, advisory councils, and pastors begin to discuss teacher salaries. I find that they often lack the data to make informed decisions.