March 4th Newsletter
Category : Newsletters
Here is the link to the March 4th newsletter. In my blog today I spotlight Bishop McNamara HS in suburban Washington, DC. Founded as a mostly-white all-boys school, it’s now a beacon of diversity. My top 5 articles:
- “Why Increased Enrollment of Hispanic Student Benefits Catholic Schools” is a great piece by Dr. Hosffman Ospino of Boston College in America. This is the first article in the American Catholic News section.
- Pair that article with the next two article in the American Catholic News section—the NY Times opinion piece “The Cruel Ploy of Taking Immigrant Children From Their Parents” and “Why Do Hispanics Leave the Church?” We need to face the realities (declining enrollments alongside a growing population of Hispanics in the Church) and we need to respond. I think every Catholic school should put up a not-so-subtle banner outside the front door saying “Welcome Dreamers.”
- In the Leadership section, “Plan a Better Meeting with Design Thinking” from Harvard Business Review should help you re-think your faculty meetings, your Advisory Council meetings, and those boring meetings with the superintendent!
- In the Teaching & Learning section, I’ve included great articles on project-based learning and a great common craft video on flipping classrooms.
- In the Miscellaneous section, Matt Brower’s essay “Reflections on Human Life and Dignity” is a well-articulated argument for a consistent ethic of life.
Have a great week!